Friday, February 06, 2009

LIGHTS: Cr Jeanette McRae Email

Mario

Thank you for your email of 29 January.

I am happy to provide the rationale behind my vote when application YR 2009/1700 was determined by Council last week.

I want the best possible design solution for my community that achieves improved safety and traffic flows. It became apparent to me based on the report to Council and the dialogue between Councillors that there was a prepared, more appropriate, alternative design.

I personally have observed a near collison between a vehicle entering Maroondah Highway from Melba Highway and the tree almost opposite on the southern side of Maroondah Highway. I believe that if we need to provide two lanes for the traffic proceeding in a easterly direction that this should be accommodated from the southern side and reduce known target vegetation rather than a significant landscape tree of which I am not aware of target issues. However, this option was not before Council for determination - our consideration was around the removal of the significant, in the Coldstream landscape, tree.

Our Chief Executive Officer, Mr Glenn Patterson has organised for further discussion with VicRoads which I believe will result in a collaborative and acceptable outcome. Both VicRoads and Council are eager to co-operate to resolve the traffic management issues at this intersection.

It was unfortunate that you were not able to attend the Council meeting so that you could have heard first-hand the discussion around this application. You then may have realised that we seek to be as informed as possible and obtain the most appropriate outcomes for our community when making our decision.

regards

No comments: